The Project will span over approximately 1,936 hectares of rural agricultural land, however the Project footprint will only cover a small proportion of the total area (up to 5%). Currently, the Project spans over 37 rural agricultural lots, which form part of four separate privately owned landholdings.
The Project would involve the construction, operation and maintenance of 31 wind turbine generators (WTGs) at a maximum tip height of 185 metres and associated infrastructure across the Project Area.
The Project will consist of the following permanent components:
- 31 WTGs with a maximum tip height of 185 m AGL (to the blade tip) and adjacent hardstands for use as crane pads and assembly areas;
- a central electrical substation / switchyard building;
- operations and maintenance building;
- site offices, storage and car parking facilities;
- up to three meteorological monitoring masts to across the Project Area;
- underground 33 kV electrical reticulation and fibre optic cabling connecting the WTGs to the on-site substation; and
- an internal private access road network connecting the WTGs and other proposed infrastructure to the public road network.
The following elements will be required during construction of the Project:
- temporary concrete batching plant;
- earthworks for access roads, WTG platforms and foundations;
- external water supply for concrete batching and construction activities;
- cleared hardstand areas for construction equipment and storage (construction laydown areas); and
- temporary site buildings and facilities for construction contractors.
Newtricity is seeking approval for an underground 33kv transmission line connection point from the approved Biala windfarm to the site of the existing Gullen Range substation or the TransGrid 330kv switching station located approximately 12km from the windfarm site. The substation and switching station are located in close proximity to each other and both connect to the existing 330kv Yass to Goulburn Transmission line. The connection point will ultimately be determined by the connection agreement with TransGrid which is currently subject to negotiation.
The proposed wind farm layout is shown in the figure below.